Violin Memory buys Gridiron for fast flash storage access
Violin aims to use Gridiron's I/O application acceleration algorithms with its enterprise flash storage arrays
IDG News Service - Flash storage vendor Violin Memory has acquired Gridiron Systems for an undisclosed sum and plans to use the company's application acceleration smarts with its flash arrays.
Gridiron's operations units have already been integrated into Violin. The two companies are set to formally announce the deal on Monday. Both companies are privately held.
Gridiron sells an appliance that slots in between an enterprise's storage and servers and speeds up access to data in existing storage arrays. It uses flash, memory, software and proprietary hardware and can make databases and applications run 10 times faster, according to Gridiron's website.
Violin plans to use Gridiron's algorithms, which learn about I/O traffic patterns and cache the active dataset of an application, in its flash storage arrays. Gridiron's technology is well-suited to online transaction processing, data warehouses, virtualization and big-data analytics, according to Violin.
Violin also plans to continue selling Gridiron's appliances, eventually making merged products, said Ashish Gupta, Violin's director of product marketing.
Gridiron is based in Sunnyvale, California, while Violin is located in nearby Mountain View.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- State of Cloud Security Report In a relatively short time, cloud computing, specifically Infrastructure-as a-Service, has shifted from a new but unproven approach to an accepted, even inevitable,...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts