RIM kicks off final BlackBerry 10 port-a-thon before launch
Last week's event attracted 15,000 app submissions ahead of the Jan. 30 launch
IDG News Service - Research In Motion kicked off its latest and last port-a-thon event on Friday, pushing developers to port their applications over to the new BlackBerry 10 operating system. The new OS, on which much of the fortunes of Research In Motion ride, will be launched in less than two weeks.
The port-a-thon, which takes place online, began at noon Eastern time Friday and will run for 36 hours.
Developers are being offered $100 for each of up to 20 apps that are ported to BlackBerry 10 and accepted in the company's App Store. Developers who submit five or more apps will be entered in a drawing to win one of 250 BlackBerry 10 development handsets.
The port-a-thon follows a similar and successful event last week that attracted 15,000 app submissions.
RIM will launch BlackBerry 10 at an event in New York on Jan. 30. The company is also expected to unveil the first handsets supporting the operating system at the same time.
The company still has a large number of business users that rely on its phones and messaging systems, but RIM needs to make a success of BlackBerry 10, otherwise it risks being further marginalized in the competitive smartphone market.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!