Researchers find critical vulnerabilities in Java 7 Update 11
The latest Java update is also vulnerable to sandbox bypass exploits, researchers from Security Explorations say
IDG News Service - Researchers from Security Explorations, a Poland-based vulnerability research firm, claim to have found two new vulnerabilities in Java 7 Update 11 that can be exploited to bypass the software's security sandbox and execute arbitrary code on computers.
Security Explorations successfully confirmed that a complete Java security sandbox bypass can be still be achieved under Java 7 Update 11 (JRE version 1.7.0_11-b21) by exploiting two new vulnerabilities discovered by the company's researchers, Adam Gowdiak, the company's founder, said Friday in a message sent to the Full Disclosure mailing list. The vulnerabilities were reported to Oracle on Friday, together with working proof-of-concept exploit code, he said.
According to Security Explorations' disclosure policy, technical details about the vulnerabilities will not be publicly disclosed until the vendor issues a patch.
Researchers from security firm Immunity who analyzed the exploit being used by cybercriminals since last week concluded that it also combined two vulnerabilities to achieve a Java sandbox escape. However, they later said in a blog post that Java 7 Update 11 only addressed one of them and warned that if attackers find another vulnerability to replace the patched one, a new exploit can be created.
The vulnerabilities discovered by Security Explorations are separate from the one left unpatched by Oracle in Java 7 Update 11, Gowdiak said Friday via email.
Some security researchers, including those from the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), continued to advise users to disable the Java browser plug-in despite the release of Java 7 Update 11, citing concerns that similar attacks might occur in the future.
"There is definitely something worrying regarding the quality of Java SE 7 code," Gowdiak said. This could suggest the lack of a proper Secure Development Lifecycle program for Java or some other problems that are internal to Oracle, he said.
That said, the fact that Java 7 Update 11 asks for users confirmation before allowing Java applets to be executed inside browsers is definitely a step in the right direction and could block many attacks, Gowdiak said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts