Nokia Lumia 820 owners can customize their phone with 3D printers
The necessary files can be downloaded from the company's developer website
IDG News Service - Nokia is embracing the 3D printing community by releasing files that will let smartphone users create their own custom shells.
Owners of its Lumia 820 smartphone will be the first to have the opportunity, the company said in a blog post on Friday.
The move is mostly about marketing, as Nokia looks for ways to make its products stand out, according to Malik Saadi, principal analyst with Informa Telecoms & Media.
The Lumia 820 was announced last September. It uses an interchangeable case that allows users to wirelessly charge their device and choose between a number of colors, which now can be expanded upon with the option to print custom shells.
For people who want to design their own shells Nokia is releasing 3D templates, case specs, recommended materials and best practices. Mechanical drawings in either STL or STP file formats can be downloaded from the company's developer website. The printed shells cannot be sold, as the licensing only allows for non-commercial use.
Once confined to prototyping and niche curiosity, 3D printing has started to take off thanks to products from companies such as MakerBot Industries, Stratasys and 3D Systems and services such as Sculpteo, which allows users to upload a file and then prints it for them.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!