India's Wipro benefits from recovery in offshoring
Wipro's IT services business grew by 4.8% year-on-year in the fourth quarter
IDG News Service - Wipro's fourth-quarter IT services revenue grew 4.8% year on year, reflecting an overall recovery in offshoring to India.
The Indian outsourcer said Friday revenue from IT services in the quarter was $1.58 billion, as its customers "leverage technology to drive revenues and productivity."
The company has forecast that revenue from IT services could reach $1.6 billion in the current quarter.
IT services accounted for 78% of the total revenue of the company, which also has other businesses such as in consumer care and lighting.
Revenue growth in the IT services business was higher in rupees at 13% year on year, because of the depreciation of the Indian rupee against the dollar.
The IT Services business had 142,905 employees, after an increase of 2,336 staff in the quarter. It added 50 new customers in the quarter.
Wipro decided in November to move its non-IT businesses out of the company to give it a higher focus on IT services. The plan is expected to come into effect from its next fiscal year, starting April 1.
The company's Indian competitors, including Tata Consultancy Services, the largest outsourcer in the country, and Infosys, the second-largest, have also reported good results in the wake of an improved outlook for offshore outsourcers.
Revenue at TCS increased by 14% year on year to nearly $3 billion, while net profit of $652 million was up 14.8% from a year earlier.
The offshore market for outsourced services is expected to grow by 12 to 15% this year, as more customers are expected to increase IT spending, said Sudin Apte, principal analyst and CEO of Offshore Insights.
Wipro's overall revenue grew in rupees by 10%, while net profit grew 18%. The company does not break out net profit for its IT services business.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts