India's Wipro benefits from recovery in offshoring
Wipro's IT services business grew by 4.8% year-on-year in the fourth quarter
IDG News Service - Wipro's fourth-quarter IT services revenue grew 4.8% year on year, reflecting an overall recovery in offshoring to India.
The Indian outsourcer said Friday revenue from IT services in the quarter was $1.58 billion, as its customers "leverage technology to drive revenues and productivity."
The company has forecast that revenue from IT services could reach $1.6 billion in the current quarter.
IT services accounted for 78% of the total revenue of the company, which also has other businesses such as in consumer care and lighting.
Revenue growth in the IT services business was higher in rupees at 13% year on year, because of the depreciation of the Indian rupee against the dollar.
The IT Services business had 142,905 employees, after an increase of 2,336 staff in the quarter. It added 50 new customers in the quarter.
Wipro decided in November to move its non-IT businesses out of the company to give it a higher focus on IT services. The plan is expected to come into effect from its next fiscal year, starting April 1.
The company's Indian competitors, including Tata Consultancy Services, the largest outsourcer in the country, and Infosys, the second-largest, have also reported good results in the wake of an improved outlook for offshore outsourcers.
Revenue at TCS increased by 14% year on year to nearly $3 billion, while net profit of $652 million was up 14.8% from a year earlier.
The offshore market for outsourced services is expected to grow by 12 to 15% this year, as more customers are expected to increase IT spending, said Sudin Apte, principal analyst and CEO of Offshore Insights.
Wipro's overall revenue grew in rupees by 10%, while net profit grew 18%. The company does not break out net profit for its IT services business.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts