AT&T sold record number of smartphones in Q4
A new iPhone and handsets from competitors pushed the carrier to record unit sales
IDG News Service - AT&T sold a record number of smartphones in the last three months of 2012 as consumers snapped up new products from the likes of Apple and Samsung.
The company sold 10.2 million smartphones in the quarter, it said in a regulatory filing Thursday. Its previous best-ever quarter was the final three months of 2011, when it sold 9.2 million smartphones.
AT&T didn't break down its sales, but the strong demand was likely due to the launch of the iPhone 5, which went on sale a couple of weeks before the quarter began, and new cell phones from competitors such as Samsung, Nokia and HTC.
AT&T was a U.S. launch carrier for Windows Phone 8, which Microsoft put on sale in October.
The results mean AT&T sold a total of 26.9 million smartphones in 2012, up from 25.3 million in 2011.
The company is due to report its full-year results next Thursday.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breaking BlackBerry: Your transition plan in 10 easy steps The move from BlackBerry should be a methodical approach that turns off the BES lights in a phased and methodical manner as you...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Learn More About Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-ready, creating a perfect point of adoption whether you need an off-premise solution for development
- What Makes a Cloud Solution Truly Enterprise-Grade? Future enterprise cloud capabilities will evolve from five core elements...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts