Lenovo offers ThinkPad X131e with Chrome OS
The laptop, at $429, is aimed at the education market
IDG News Service - Lenovo announced a rugged ThinkPad X131e laptop starting at $429 with Google's Chrome OS.
Lenovo joins Acer and Samsung as companies offering laptops with Chrome OS. The X131e, announced Thursday, has an 11.6-inch screen and runs on an Intel processor.
Google's Chrome OS is an operating system for those who do most of their computing from the Web. Laptops with the OS are also referred to as Chromebooks.
Lenovo's X131e is more expensive than Acer's C7 Chromebook, which starts at $199 and is also based on an Intel processor. Samsung's Chromebooks, which start at $249, run on an ARM processor.
Other features in the Lenovo laptop include a webcam and HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) and VGA ports. The laptop has rubber bumpers so that it can withstand being dropped.
The laptop will begin shipping Feb. 26, but a Lenovo spokesman could not provide the countries it will ship to then.
Lenovo is targeting the education market with the laptop, which will be offered through resellers in some regions. The spokesman could not say when the laptop will be available to consumers.
The company earlier targeted netbooks at the education market, but stopped selling them because of weak demand.
Lenovo is the world's second-largest PC maker. The company also offers a model of X131e with Windows 7 starting at $699.99.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!