Lenovo offers ThinkPad X131e with Chrome OS
The laptop, at $429, is aimed at the education market
IDG News Service - Lenovo announced a rugged ThinkPad X131e laptop starting at $429 with Google's Chrome OS.
Lenovo joins Acer and Samsung as companies offering laptops with Chrome OS. The X131e, announced Thursday, has an 11.6-inch screen and runs on an Intel processor.
Google's Chrome OS is an operating system for those who do most of their computing from the Web. Laptops with the OS are also referred to as Chromebooks.
Lenovo's X131e is more expensive than Acer's C7 Chromebook, which starts at $199 and is also based on an Intel processor. Samsung's Chromebooks, which start at $249, run on an ARM processor.
Other features in the Lenovo laptop include a webcam and HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) and VGA ports. The laptop has rubber bumpers so that it can withstand being dropped.
The laptop will begin shipping Feb. 26, but a Lenovo spokesman could not provide the countries it will ship to then.
Lenovo is targeting the education market with the laptop, which will be offered through resellers in some regions. The spokesman could not say when the laptop will be available to consumers.
The company earlier targeted netbooks at the education market, but stopped selling them because of weak demand.
Lenovo is the world's second-largest PC maker. The company also offers a model of X131e with Windows 7 starting at $699.99.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!