Lenovo offers ThinkPad X131e with Chrome OS
The laptop, at $429, is aimed at the education market
IDG News Service - Lenovo announced a rugged ThinkPad X131e laptop starting at $429 with Google's Chrome OS.
Lenovo joins Acer and Samsung as companies offering laptops with Chrome OS. The X131e, announced Thursday, has an 11.6-inch screen and runs on an Intel processor.
Google's Chrome OS is an operating system for those who do most of their computing from the Web. Laptops with the OS are also referred to as Chromebooks.
Lenovo's X131e is more expensive than Acer's C7 Chromebook, which starts at $199 and is also based on an Intel processor. Samsung's Chromebooks, which start at $249, run on an ARM processor.
Other features in the Lenovo laptop include a webcam and HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) and VGA ports. The laptop has rubber bumpers so that it can withstand being dropped.
The laptop will begin shipping Feb. 26, but a Lenovo spokesman could not provide the countries it will ship to then.
Lenovo is targeting the education market with the laptop, which will be offered through resellers in some regions. The spokesman could not say when the laptop will be available to consumers.
The company earlier targeted netbooks at the education market, but stopped selling them because of weak demand.
Lenovo is the world's second-largest PC maker. The company also offers a model of X131e with Windows 7 starting at $699.99.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts