Cisco virtual desktop users to get access to Jabber HD voice and video
The new capabilities are intended to extend users' collaboration tools
IDG News Service - Users of Cisco's virtual desktop system will soon be able to engage in voice and video communications with their colleagues using the Jabber instant messaging tool.
Previously, Cisco virtual desktop users could tap into Jabber's IM text communications and presence capabilities, but a newly developed software component will make it possible for them to also do high-definition voice calls and video conferencing.
In this way, users will get an expanded set of capabilities to collaborate at work, acccording to Phil Sherburne, vice president of Enterprise Smart Solutions Engineering at Cisco.
The new software component is called Virtualization Experience Media Engine (VXME) and it extends the Jabber capabilities within Cisco's Virtualization Experience Infrastructure (VXI) Smart Solution desktop virtualization system, Cisco said on Thursday.
The expanded Jabber features for VXI systems will be first available for Cisco's own Virtualization Experience Client (VXC) 6215 thin client in March, followed later in this year's first half by Dell Wyse's Z50D thin client and Windows PCs and thin clients.
The VXME software uses computing and processing resources of the user's desktop device, and it also makes the VXI system network aware of desktop device's voice and video traffic, according to Cisco.
Cisco also announced on Thursday that Logitech and Jabra plan to release new accessories for Cisco virtual desktop users in March, including a keyboard, mouse and webcam from Logitech and a Jabra handset.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts