Cisco virtual desktop users to get access to Jabber HD voice and video
The new capabilities are intended to extend users' collaboration tools
IDG News Service - Users of Cisco's virtual desktop system will soon be able to engage in voice and video communications with their colleagues using the Jabber instant messaging tool.
Previously, Cisco virtual desktop users could tap into Jabber's IM text communications and presence capabilities, but a newly developed software component will make it possible for them to also do high-definition voice calls and video conferencing.
In this way, users will get an expanded set of capabilities to collaborate at work, acccording to Phil Sherburne, vice president of Enterprise Smart Solutions Engineering at Cisco.
The new software component is called Virtualization Experience Media Engine (VXME) and it extends the Jabber capabilities within Cisco's Virtualization Experience Infrastructure (VXI) Smart Solution desktop virtualization system, Cisco said on Thursday.
The expanded Jabber features for VXI systems will be first available for Cisco's own Virtualization Experience Client (VXC) 6215 thin client in March, followed later in this year's first half by Dell Wyse's Z50D thin client and Windows PCs and thin clients.
The VXME software uses computing and processing resources of the user's desktop device, and it also makes the VXI system network aware of desktop device's voice and video traffic, according to Cisco.
Cisco also announced on Thursday that Logitech and Jabra plan to release new accessories for Cisco virtual desktop users in March, including a keyboard, mouse and webcam from Logitech and a Jabra handset.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!