Softbank sells most of recently-acquired eAccess
Japanese operator said it sold control to 11 firms including Samsung and Alcatel-Lucent subsidiaries to calm fears of Japanese wireless spectrum control
IDG News Service - Softbank has sold off a large portion of a local carrier it acquired just weeks ago, as it looked to assuage fears over its expanded control of Japan's wireless spectrum.
The company, which runs one of Japan's largest mobile operators, said Thursday it sold off two-thirds of the voting shares in eAccess, a rival operator that focuses mainly on data services. Softbank made eAccess a subsidiary on Jan. 1.
Softbank had faced concerns that the purchase would give it too big a share of Japan's wireless bands, which are tightly regulated by the government. The company said that it informed Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications of its intention to possibly sell off the stake in November.
The shares were sold to 11 buyers, including subsidiaries of Samsung Electronics, Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia Siemens, as well as several Japanese financial firms. Each now owns about a 6 percent voting stake in eAccess.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed, though any income could help finance another Softbank acquisition, its deal to acquire U.S. operator Sprint for US$20 billion.
Softbank, led by charismatic founder and CEO Masayoshi Son, announced it had signed a $2 billion deal to acquire eAccess in October. The operator, which has piled on users in recent years but struggled with a reputation for poor network service, said the acquisition would help it quickly add high-speed LTE infrastructure, as well as access to more network frequencies.
Two weeks later, Softbank revealed another blockbuster deal, its agreement to acquire a majority stake in Sprint Nextel. Softbank is expected to aggressively compete on price in the U.S. market, a tactic it has used effectively at home in Japan.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context
- This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk
- This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Financial IT Webcasts