Softbank sells most of recently-acquired eAccess
Japanese operator said it sold control to 11 firms including Samsung and Alcatel-Lucent subsidiaries to calm fears of Japanese wireless spectrum control
IDG News Service - Softbank has sold off a large portion of a local carrier it acquired just weeks ago, as it looked to assuage fears over its expanded control of Japan's wireless spectrum.
The company, which runs one of Japan's largest mobile operators, said Thursday it sold off two-thirds of the voting shares in eAccess, a rival operator that focuses mainly on data services. Softbank made eAccess a subsidiary on Jan. 1.
Softbank had faced concerns that the purchase would give it too big a share of Japan's wireless bands, which are tightly regulated by the government. The company said that it informed Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications of its intention to possibly sell off the stake in November.
The shares were sold to 11 buyers, including subsidiaries of Samsung Electronics, Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia Siemens, as well as several Japanese financial firms. Each now owns about a 6 percent voting stake in eAccess.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed, though any income could help finance another Softbank acquisition, its deal to acquire U.S. operator Sprint for US$20 billion.
Softbank, led by charismatic founder and CEO Masayoshi Son, announced it had signed a $2 billion deal to acquire eAccess in October. The operator, which has piled on users in recent years but struggled with a reputation for poor network service, said the acquisition would help it quickly add high-speed LTE infrastructure, as well as access to more network frequencies.
Two weeks later, Softbank revealed another blockbuster deal, its agreement to acquire a majority stake in Sprint Nextel. Softbank is expected to aggressively compete on price in the U.S. market, a tactic it has used effectively at home in Japan.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content
- Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network
- At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success
- Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,... All Financial IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Financial IT Webcasts