Oracle trying to quell certification exam voucher fraud
Those who use fake vouchers can face a lifetime ban on certification exams
IDG News Service - Oracle is cracking down on the use of counterfeit vouchers for its certification examinations, a move that could have significant implications for the unwitting as well as willful violators.
"Did you know that purchasing vouchers from a non-authorized outlet is fraud? We recently revoked several exam scores as we tracked down counterfeit vouchers that had been used to purchase exams," the company said in an official blog post this week.
"Use caution - you may not even be a willing or knowing party to the fraud," the post adds. "Test takers are often surprised to discover that their vouchers are not valid."
Last year, Oracle said it had seen an increase in the number of counterfeit exam vouchers being sold online. Only Oracle University and resellers it authorizes can sell such vouchers, according to the vendor.
Violators of Oracle's policy could face a stiff penalty.
"Individuals who acquire and use counterfeit certification vouchers and/or certification vouchers obtained from an unauthorized source may be subject to program sanctions at the discretion of Oracle, including a lifetime ban on taking all future exams and the nullification of all previous exam results and certifications," the vendor's official rules on certification state.
While Oracle didn't name any specific sources of fraudulent vouchers, a Web search turned up a number of sites and forums with people offering vouchers of possibly dubious origin at steep discounts. The vouchers are for certification exams for Oracle as well as for Microsoft and other vendors.
Those with concerns about the validity of their certification vouchers can call Oracle University, the vendor's training arm, for confirmation. They can also check to see whether the website where they purchased the voucher has an official Oracle Reseller logo.
There are some limited exceptions, such as when an employee receives a voucher from their employer, which has bought it legitimately, according to Oracle.
While the overall value of certifications to an IT professional's career has long been the subject of debate, to Oracle and other vendors, they represent a lucrative income stream that stands to be diluted by a rise in fraud.
In 2010, Oracle imposed some fee increases on certification exams, sparking dismay from users.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts