Longtime VMware CTO Steve Herrod steps down
Herrod helped develop VMware's core technologies and has been a tireless advocate of the technology
IDG News Service - Longtime VMware Chief Technology Officer Steve Herrod has stepped down from his post, leaving the company during a challenging time.
Herrod has taken a job at the venture capital firm General Catalyst, where he will work as a managing director. He will continue to assist VMware, in the role of technical consultant.
"I am amazed by the changes our industry has undergone over the last decade. Virtualization has become the default technology upon which the majority of the world's server applications run," he wrote in a blog post announcing the move.
VMware doesn't have a successor yet. A spokeswoman said the company is looking at both internal and external candidates for a replacement. Herrod was also senior vice president of research and development at VMware.
Herrod officially joined VMware in December 2001, shortly after the company released its first product, VMware Workstation. Although IBM had pioneered virtualization in the 1970s for mainframe computers, the founders of VMware wanted to apply the technology to commodity servers.
"Our original code name for the company was Disco, because it was a cool idea from the 1970s that we wanted to bring back," Herrod said, in an interview with IDG News Service in 2012. "We saw what it could do for the mainframe space, and yet no one had thought about it for the industry standard x86 space."
For 2011, VMware generated $3.77 billion in revenue.
With the departure of Herrod, VMware has lost a powerful evangelist for the company's technology, said Chris Wolf, a Gartner research vice president and lead VMware analyst. The loss will prove to be a challenging one for VMware this year as competitor Microsoft increasingly moves into the virtualization space, he said.
"Those will not be easy shoes to fill," Wolf said.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.