1 million Surface RT tablets sold in last quarter, UBS says
Improves sales hoped for Surface Pro tablet shipping later this month
Computerworld - Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
The analyst, Brent Thill, had expected 2 million Surface RT tablets to sell. In a note to investors, he said that customers are preferring iPads over Surface tablets.
Part of Microsoft's problem is that the software maker sold the Surface RT only in its own stores through much of the fourth quarter, he said, and didn't add other stores, including Best Buy and Staples, until mid-December.
UBS' lower sales figures came a few days after Samsung revealed it would not be releasing its own Windows RT tablet in the U.S., citing little demand and lack of public understanding of the Windows RT operating system, when compared to the full Windows 8 OS.
UBS's Thill said there is hope for sales to workers of the full Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet due to launch later this month for $899 for a 64 GB version and $999 for a 128 GB version.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Getting to a Single View of the Truth with Cloud-based HCM Technology This exclusive new IDG Research survey highlights how unified, cloud-based HCM solutions help companies centralize and analyze workforce information more easily, boost employee...
- Cloud Computing Conquers Finance A new survey from IDG Research sheds fresh light on the advantages of cloud-based finance solutions over traditional on-premises systems. Learn the benefits...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts