1 million Surface RT tablets sold in last quarter, UBS says
Improves sales hoped for Surface Pro tablet shipping later this month
Computerworld - Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
The analyst, Brent Thill, had expected 2 million Surface RT tablets to sell. In a note to investors, he said that customers are preferring iPads over Surface tablets.
Part of Microsoft's problem is that the software maker sold the Surface RT only in its own stores through much of the fourth quarter, he said, and didn't add other stores, including Best Buy and Staples, until mid-December.
UBS' lower sales figures came a few days after Samsung revealed it would not be releasing its own Windows RT tablet in the U.S., citing little demand and lack of public understanding of the Windows RT operating system, when compared to the full Windows 8 OS.
UBS's Thill said there is hope for sales to workers of the full Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet due to launch later this month for $899 for a 64 GB version and $999 for a 128 GB version.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!