1 million Surface RT tablets sold in last quarter, UBS says
Improves sales hoped for Surface Pro tablet shipping later this month
Computerworld - Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
The analyst, Brent Thill, had expected 2 million Surface RT tablets to sell. In a note to investors, he said that customers are preferring iPads over Surface tablets.
Part of Microsoft's problem is that the software maker sold the Surface RT only in its own stores through much of the fourth quarter, he said, and didn't add other stores, including Best Buy and Staples, until mid-December.
UBS' lower sales figures came a few days after Samsung revealed it would not be releasing its own Windows RT tablet in the U.S., citing little demand and lack of public understanding of the Windows RT operating system, when compared to the full Windows 8 OS.
UBS's Thill said there is hope for sales to workers of the full Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet due to launch later this month for $899 for a 64 GB version and $999 for a 128 GB version.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts