HP launches converged cloud business unit
Hewlett-Packard rolls its cloud software and services into a single unit
IDG News Service - Banking on the trend toward cloud computing, Hewlett-Packard has created a stand-alone organization to oversee the company's hosted computing services and software offerings.
Saar Gillai will oversee the new unit. Gillai, whose title is now senior vice president and general manager of the HP Converged Cloud unit, will report to HP Chief Operating Officer Bill Veghte.
HP first launched its Converged Cloud line of offerings last April. The company took the strategy of combining both software and cloud services into a unified set of packages. HP pitches these integrated offerings to organizations that want to combine public cloud services and their own internal IT resources into a single unified architecture, hence the marketing term "converged cloud."
"When we looked at what organizations needed to do as they incorporated the cloud into their IT, we [saw] that they will need to leverage a mix of different of cloud environments," said Frances Guida, HP manager of cloud services, in an interview about the services prior to Monday's announcement. "They will have private clouds and public clouds as well."
HP's goal "is to deliver a cloud with a common architecture that spans all of these models," Guida said.
According to HP, the new unit will define the combined architecture for services and software. It will also handle marketing and certification for the portfolio.
Prior to his new roll, Gillai was HP's vice president and general manager of cloud networking, where he drove the development, marketing and sales of HP's earlier cloud offerings. He also served as the chief technology officer of HP networking technologies.
HP is not alone in ramping up new hybrid cloud offerings. Dell has introduced a cloud computer service tailored for retail businesses. Dell will offer integrated packages of point-of-sales (POS) machines, back office systems and managed cloud services.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Maximize Strategic Flexibility by Building an Open Hybrid Cloud Choosing how to build a cloud is the biggest strategic decision IT leaders will make this decade. It determines their organizational competitiveness, flexibility,...
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts