HP launches converged cloud business unit
Hewlett-Packard rolls its cloud software and services into a single unit
IDG News Service - Banking on the trend toward cloud computing, Hewlett-Packard has created a stand-alone organization to oversee the company's hosted computing services and software offerings.
Saar Gillai will oversee the new unit. Gillai, whose title is now senior vice president and general manager of the HP Converged Cloud unit, will report to HP Chief Operating Officer Bill Veghte.
HP first launched its Converged Cloud line of offerings last April. The company took the strategy of combining both software and cloud services into a unified set of packages. HP pitches these integrated offerings to organizations that want to combine public cloud services and their own internal IT resources into a single unified architecture, hence the marketing term "converged cloud."
"When we looked at what organizations needed to do as they incorporated the cloud into their IT, we [saw] that they will need to leverage a mix of different of cloud environments," said Frances Guida, HP manager of cloud services, in an interview about the services prior to Monday's announcement. "They will have private clouds and public clouds as well."
HP's goal "is to deliver a cloud with a common architecture that spans all of these models," Guida said.
According to HP, the new unit will define the combined architecture for services and software. It will also handle marketing and certification for the portfolio.
Prior to his new roll, Gillai was HP's vice president and general manager of cloud networking, where he drove the development, marketing and sales of HP's earlier cloud offerings. He also served as the chief technology officer of HP networking technologies.
HP is not alone in ramping up new hybrid cloud offerings. Dell has introduced a cloud computer service tailored for retail businesses. Dell will offer integrated packages of point-of-sales (POS) machines, back office systems and managed cloud services.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!