Indian outsourcer Tata posts strong revenue, profit growth
Latin America showed strong growth among emerging markets as offshoring rebounds
IDG News Service - Tata Consultancy Services had strong revenue and profit growth in the fourth quarter, indicating that the offshoring market is recovering.
The business momentum is expected to continue in 2013, as customers invest in more efficient systems and in particular cloud technology, N. Chandrasekaran, CEO and managing director of the Mumbai company, told reporters on Monday. The deal pipeline looks strong, he added.
TCS' revenue increased by 14% year-on-year to nearly $3 billion, while net profit of $652 million was up 14.8% from a year earlier.
Revenue growth in rupees was higher by 22% while profits were up 23%, because of the depreciation of the Indian rupee against the dollar.
TCS' growth has been balanced across markets, industries and services. Among mature markets, growth came from the U.S. and the U.K. with the rest of Europe still soft, Chandrasekaran said. In the emerging markets, Latin America showed high growth quarter-on-quarter, followed by India.
Growth was highest in the banking, financial services and insurance, energy and utilities, and manufacturing and retail and distribution industry groups.
The company added 9,561 staff in the quarter taking the total to 263,637 at the end of the quarter.
The offshore market will grow this year by 12% to 15%, driven mainly by North America, as Europe is expected to lag for another year, said Sudin Apte, principal analyst and CEO of Offshore Insights. More than 50% of customers polled by the research firm around November said that their IT spending would increase. In the previous year, hardly any companies expected to increase their IT spending, the research firm said.
Infosys, the second largest Indian outsourcer after TCS, said last week that its revenue for the quarter was $1.9 billion, up 5.8% from the same quarter last year, helped by the company's acquisition in the quarter of Lodestone Holding, a management consultancy firm in Zurich with skills in the area of SAP software. The company's net profit of $434 million in the quarter was, however, down from $458 million a year earlier because of investments in new businesses, and a wage hike in India.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All IT Outsourcing White Papers |