Network World - Change is a given in this business, but 2013 promises to be particularly interesting because of the convergence of multiple, transformative developments, none of which are new, per se, given we have been tracking them in depth for some time, but each of which is forcing us to rethink long held conventions.
2013 IT OUTLOOK: Innovation trumps cost-cutting
Cloud computing tops the list of course, giving us totally new ways to think about how to deliver IT services. At this point, every IT decision seems to include some consideration of cloud. And we're certainly still in the midst of the consumerization craze, trying to piggyback on worker enthusiasm for these mobile productivity tools while still safeguarding the company jewels. Lots of questions remain, but many opportunities stretch out before us.
Newer to the scene is software-defined networking, but SDN momentum going into this new year is huge and we are sure to see important advances. The big question for 2013 is whether the movement progresses as a whole, or is subverted by the established providers as they scramble to protect their installed base by offering SDN-like tools but without adhering to the emerging standards.
There are other promising new techs too (big data, for example), so strap in and hold on. IT in the new year promises to be one for the record books.
Read more about infrastructure management in Network World's Infrastructure Management section.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service Modern organizations are under intense pressure to provide accurate, reliable, and speedy financial information to business decision-makers. Furthermore, complying with global standards has...
- Cloud for Business Managers in Midsize Organizations: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Read this independent research report to learn how business managers around the world are using Cloud applications.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts