University sues Cisco over 'Tomorrow Starts Here' slogan
East Carolina University claims it has registered the trademark for tagline used by Cisco since December
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems has been sued in a federal court by East Carolina University (ECU) for the "Tomorrow Starts Here" tagline it adopted in December.
ECU in Greenville, North Carolina, has used the mark 'Tomorrow Starts Here' for over a decade, including in national advertisements and publications, it said in a statement Friday. "We feel it is essential to take action to protect that defining trademark of our identity and vision," university chancellor Steve Ballard said in the statement.
The university's complaint alleges that Cisco's use of the identical mark infringes both its federally registered and common law trademark rights.
Apparently to emphasize that Cisco's and the university's use of the trademark could confuse the consumer, ECU said that trademark "Tomorrow Starts Here" is a university-wide brand that "represents an overlapping field of goods and services when compared with that of Cisco."
Research initiatives through ECU's College of Technology and Computer Science, for example, have created products and intellectual property that are actively being commercialized, the university said. ECU also said it promotes its global online education program using the mark "Tomorrow Starts Here."
Cisco could not be immediately reached for comment. The company said in December it launched a campaign with the "Tomorrow Starts Here" slogan to showcase how Cisco makes "amazing things happen" when it connects the unconnected, using new IP-enabled devices, more broadband access, and IPv6, the next version of the Internet protocol. 99 percent of things in the physical world are still unconnected, it said.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Legal White Papers | Webcasts