University sues Cisco over 'Tomorrow Starts Here' slogan
East Carolina University claims it has registered the trademark for tagline used by Cisco since December
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems has been sued in a federal court by East Carolina University (ECU) for the "Tomorrow Starts Here" tagline it adopted in December.
ECU in Greenville, North Carolina, has used the mark 'Tomorrow Starts Here' for over a decade, including in national advertisements and publications, it said in a statement Friday. "We feel it is essential to take action to protect that defining trademark of our identity and vision," university chancellor Steve Ballard said in the statement.
The university's complaint alleges that Cisco's use of the identical mark infringes both its federally registered and common law trademark rights.
Apparently to emphasize that Cisco's and the university's use of the trademark could confuse the consumer, ECU said that trademark "Tomorrow Starts Here" is a university-wide brand that "represents an overlapping field of goods and services when compared with that of Cisco."
Research initiatives through ECU's College of Technology and Computer Science, for example, have created products and intellectual property that are actively being commercialized, the university said. ECU also said it promotes its global online education program using the mark "Tomorrow Starts Here."
Cisco could not be immediately reached for comment. The company said in December it launched a campaign with the "Tomorrow Starts Here" slogan to showcase how Cisco makes "amazing things happen" when it connects the unconnected, using new IP-enabled devices, more broadband access, and IPv6, the next version of the Internet protocol. 99 percent of things in the physical world are still unconnected, it said.
- Learn More About Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-ready, creating a perfect point of adoption whether you need an off-premise solution for development
- What Makes a Cloud Solution Truly Enterprise-Grade? Future enterprise cloud capabilities will evolve from five core elements...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Legal White Papers | Webcasts