Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8
Evans Data Cloud Development Survey finds developers split on benefits and concerns about building in the cloud
Infoworld - Developers are finding that building applications in the cloud saves time, but concerns remain about security and uptime, according to a newly released study.
Results of the biannual Evans Data Cloud Development Survey, conducted in December and released earlier this month, found that cloud platforms reduce overall development time by an average of 11.6%. Cloud development streamlines the development process, improves tools procurement, and boosts collaboration, with developers more easily able to pass code off to team members, the survey of 400 developers found. "The bottom line is these data appear to show that time savings -- efficiency -- is one of the key motivators that is driving the adoption of the cloud among developers," said Ben Hanley, Evans senior analyst.
[ See InfoWorld's realist's guide to cloud services and what they're good for. | Stay on top of the state of the cloud with InfoWorld's "Cloud Computing Deep Dive" special report and Cloud Computing Report newsletter. ]
While about 10% of developers cited no time savings in using cloud environments, an almost equal amount said they had experienced more than 30% time savings. About 38% cited savings in the 11% to 20% range.
Developers, though, still have worries about issues like the compromising of their source code. "Security as a concern pops up throughout the survey," Hanley said. Other inhibitors to cloud adoption include fear of vendor lock-in, lack of confidence in uptime reliability, and lack of development tools optimized for the cloud.
Cloud environments being leveraged by developers in the survey include public and private clouds. Particular cloud platforms in use included Google App Engine, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Windows Azure, HP Enterprise Cloud Services, VMware vCloud, AT&T Synaptic, Salesforce.com Force.com, and NetSuite's cloud services.
This article, "Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Info-Tech Research Group Vendor Landscape: Cloud File Sharing Box recommends this report for any growing business or company considering an investment in enterprise content collaboration and cloud file sharing.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts