Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8
Evans Data Cloud Development Survey finds developers split on benefits and concerns about building in the cloud
Infoworld - Developers are finding that building applications in the cloud saves time, but concerns remain about security and uptime, according to a newly released study.
Results of the biannual Evans Data Cloud Development Survey, conducted in December and released earlier this month, found that cloud platforms reduce overall development time by an average of 11.6%. Cloud development streamlines the development process, improves tools procurement, and boosts collaboration, with developers more easily able to pass code off to team members, the survey of 400 developers found. "The bottom line is these data appear to show that time savings -- efficiency -- is one of the key motivators that is driving the adoption of the cloud among developers," said Ben Hanley, Evans senior analyst.
[ See InfoWorld's realist's guide to cloud services and what they're good for. | Stay on top of the state of the cloud with InfoWorld's "Cloud Computing Deep Dive" special report and Cloud Computing Report newsletter. ]
While about 10% of developers cited no time savings in using cloud environments, an almost equal amount said they had experienced more than 30% time savings. About 38% cited savings in the 11% to 20% range.
Developers, though, still have worries about issues like the compromising of their source code. "Security as a concern pops up throughout the survey," Hanley said. Other inhibitors to cloud adoption include fear of vendor lock-in, lack of confidence in uptime reliability, and lack of development tools optimized for the cloud.
Cloud environments being leveraged by developers in the survey include public and private clouds. Particular cloud platforms in use included Google App Engine, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Windows Azure, HP Enterprise Cloud Services, VMware vCloud, AT&T Synaptic, Salesforce.com Force.com, and NetSuite's cloud services.
This article, "Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- Trends in Pop-up Retail: Innovative Merchandising Driven by Flexible, Dependable Mobile Connectivity This paper outlines the challenges and obstacles to successful implementation, and discusses existing, rapid-deployment solutions for connecting pop-up locations with mission-critical retail applications...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts