Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8
Evans Data Cloud Development Survey finds developers split on benefits and concerns about building in the cloud
Infoworld - Developers are finding that building applications in the cloud saves time, but concerns remain about security and uptime, according to a newly released study.
Results of the biannual Evans Data Cloud Development Survey, conducted in December and released earlier this month, found that cloud platforms reduce overall development time by an average of 11.6%. Cloud development streamlines the development process, improves tools procurement, and boosts collaboration, with developers more easily able to pass code off to team members, the survey of 400 developers found. "The bottom line is these data appear to show that time savings -- efficiency -- is one of the key motivators that is driving the adoption of the cloud among developers," said Ben Hanley, Evans senior analyst.
[ See InfoWorld's realist's guide to cloud services and what they're good for. | Stay on top of the state of the cloud with InfoWorld's "Cloud Computing Deep Dive" special report and Cloud Computing Report newsletter. ]
While about 10% of developers cited no time savings in using cloud environments, an almost equal amount said they had experienced more than 30% time savings. About 38% cited savings in the 11% to 20% range.
Developers, though, still have worries about issues like the compromising of their source code. "Security as a concern pops up throughout the survey," Hanley said. Other inhibitors to cloud adoption include fear of vendor lock-in, lack of confidence in uptime reliability, and lack of development tools optimized for the cloud.
Cloud environments being leveraged by developers in the survey include public and private clouds. Particular cloud platforms in use included Google App Engine, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Windows Azure, HP Enterprise Cloud Services, VMware vCloud, AT&T Synaptic, Salesforce.com Force.com, and NetSuite's cloud services.
This article, "Cloud app dev saves developers 1 hour of every 8," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts