U.S. could fall behind China in R&D spending by 2023
Computerworld - A new study predicts that America may lose its title as the global leader in R&D spending by 2023.
If the federal government's R&D spending continues to decline or remain flat, China could overtake the U.S. in spending on research and development in about 10 years.
The U.S. currently holds a big lead in R&D spending over China, with federal and private-sector investments expected to reach a combined $424 billion this year, for a 1.2% increase over 2012 levels.
In contrast, China's overall R&D spending is slated to hit $220 billion this year. That's just over half of the U.S. total, but it represents an 11.6% increase over 2012. And China has been increasing its R&D spending at a similar rate for years, according to the 2013 Global R&D Funding Forecast prepared by Battelle, a research and technology development organization, and R&D Magazine.
A big share of U.S. research is funded by the federal government, which this year is expected to cut its allotment for R&D by 1.4% to $129 billion. This is seen as significant because the government funds basic research -- projects that can take many years to deliver results, but which can pay off with new jobs and even new industries.
India is also investing heavily in R&D, raising its funding 12% to about $45 billion.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts