U.S. could fall behind China in R&D spending by 2023
Computerworld - A new study predicts that America may lose its title as the global leader in R&D spending by 2023.
If the federal government's R&D spending continues to decline or remain flat, China could overtake the U.S. in spending on research and development in about 10 years.
The U.S. currently holds a big lead in R&D spending over China, with federal and private-sector investments expected to reach a combined $424 billion this year, for a 1.2% increase over 2012 levels.
In contrast, China's overall R&D spending is slated to hit $220 billion this year. That's just over half of the U.S. total, but it represents an 11.6% increase over 2012. And China has been increasing its R&D spending at a similar rate for years, according to the 2013 Global R&D Funding Forecast prepared by Battelle, a research and technology development organization, and R&D Magazine.
A big share of U.S. research is funded by the federal government, which this year is expected to cut its allotment for R&D by 1.4% to $129 billion. This is seen as significant because the government funds basic research -- projects that can take many years to deliver results, but which can pay off with new jobs and even new industries.
India is also investing heavily in R&D, raising its funding 12% to about $45 billion.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts