U.S. could fall behind China in R&D spending by 2023
Computerworld - A new study predicts that America may lose its title as the global leader in R&D spending by 2023.
If the federal government's R&D spending continues to decline or remain flat, China could overtake the U.S. in spending on research and development in about 10 years.
The U.S. currently holds a big lead in R&D spending over China, with federal and private-sector investments expected to reach a combined $424 billion this year, for a 1.2% increase over 2012 levels.
In contrast, China's overall R&D spending is slated to hit $220 billion this year. That's just over half of the U.S. total, but it represents an 11.6% increase over 2012. And China has been increasing its R&D spending at a similar rate for years, according to the 2013 Global R&D Funding Forecast prepared by Battelle, a research and technology development organization, and R&D Magazine.
A big share of U.S. research is funded by the federal government, which this year is expected to cut its allotment for R&D by 1.4% to $129 billion. This is seen as significant because the government funds basic research -- projects that can take many years to deliver results, but which can pay off with new jobs and even new industries.
India is also investing heavily in R&D, raising its funding 12% to about $45 billion.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts