New Sharp HD touchscreen offers pen-like sensing
Touchscreen offers 10-point multitouch and will be available in Japan this month; Sharp wouldn't disclose pricing
IDG News Service - Sharp has developed a high-definition touchscreen that can be used with a stylus that resembles a conventional pen.
Capacitive touchscreens like those on the iPad typically require a stylus with a soft, rounded rubber end to work properly, but the Sharp screen uses a plastic pen with a much finer 2-millimeter nib.
The 19.5-inch touchscreen, which will go on sale in Japan at the end of this month, is on show at this week's CES in Las Vegas. Sharp says it's the thinnest and lightest touch panel of its class.
Sharp managed to increase the resolution of the touch panel by changing the sensing grid that lies over the screen from a diamond pattern to a new and undisclosed pattern.
The screen also allows 10-point multitouch, so all 10 fingers can be recognized and their position sensed simultaneously. That would be useful in something like a digital piano application.
There's also a stylus mode that will only recognize input from the stylus. In that mode, resting a hand on the screen while using the pen won't result in the hand being recognized as an input.
The display is aimed at use in products like computer monitors for professional applications.
Sharp has set monthly production at 4,000 panels per month. A price for the panel, which carries the LL-S201A model name, has not been disclosed.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts