NetSuite buys Retail Anywhere, gets mobile POS apps
Acquisition helps NetSuite extend its SuiteCommerce product line
IDG News Service - NetSuite has acquired Point of Sale (POS) software vendor Retail Anywhere in a bid to flesh out its family of SuiteCommerce applications.
NetSuite made the announcement Thursday. Terms were not disclosed.
Retail Anywhere had already been a close partner with NetSuite and in recent years had even begun building its software with NetSuite's own PaaS (platform as a service), said NetSuite CEO Zach Nelson.
Its software runs on standard POS hardware as well as iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices, albeit in a browser client. Native mobile applications are on tap, with iOS likely the first target, Nelson said.
NetSuite launched SuiteCommerce last year, but that focused on e-commerce. Now Retail Anywhere's software gives NetSuite a stronger hand in brick-and-mortar stores, according to Nelson.
"It turns out this channel called retail is still pretty important," he said. "What we're doing is enabling every company to deliver that Apple-like experience, regardless of touch point."
The move to acquire Retail Anywhere helps NetSuite keep parity with Microsoft, Oracle, Epicor and other ERP (enterprise resource planning) vendors, which already had POS offerings. Those companies' retail suites aren't as well-integrated as NetSuite's will be, which gives NetSuite a big advantage, Nelson claimed. "We're going to crush guys like Epicor."
It also gives NetSuite deep experience in retail, given Retail Anywhere's multi-decade history that spans back to much older POS systems. The company also has 6,000 customers, which NetSuite is clearly hoping will migrate to Retail Anywhere's more modern product.
Retail Anywhere's legacy software was sold via traditional licenses and is essentially in maintenance mode, Nelson said.
NetSuite's efforts to pull together a broad-based retail suite ties into a trend called matrix commerce, which is described in a new report from Constellation Research.
"Commerce silos exist everywhere from the last disruption -- ecommerce," wrote Constellation CEO Ray Wang. "In the rush to build internet presence, brick and mortar, call center, and even catalog operations were isolated from their web brethren. The result -- customers failed to achieve a seamless experience across the channels that mattered and revered brands were pummeled into oblivion as the web cannibalized legacy channels."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!