Google invests $200M in Texas wind turbine project
The investment is part of a continuing interest by the Internet giant in renewable energy
IDG News Service - Google will invest $200 million in a wind farm project in west Texas, part of the Internet giant's continuing interest in funding renewable energy projects, the company said Wednesday.
The equity investment is in the Spinning Spur Wind Project, located about 35 miles from Amarillo on the state's panhandle, a 161-megawatt facility that started producing energy last month, according to a news release.
"We look for projects like Spinning Spur because, in addition to creating more renewable energy and strengthening the local economy, they also make for smart investments: they offer attractive returns relative to the risks and allow us to invest in a broad range of assets," wrote Kojo Ako-Asare, senior manager in Google's corporate finance division, on a company blog.
Google has invested in 10 other renewable energy projects since 2010, which can collectively generate 2 gigawatts of power, Ako-Asare wrote. The energy can power 500,000 U.S. homes for a year, Google said.
The Spinning Spur Wind Project was constructed by EDF Renewable Energy, which specializes in wind and solar photovoltaic renewable energy. It has 70 2.3-megawatt Siemens turbines, which can generate enough power to supply 60,000 average U.S. homes. The project's energy output goes to SPS, which is a utility serving primarily Texas and New Mexico.
Google had sought to site its data centers near renewable energy sources and already purchases power generated from wind turbines. It has two 20-year-long Power Purchase Agreements with the company NextEra for its facilities in Iowa and Oklahoma, which Google uses to power two data centers in the states.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Implementing Energy Efficient Data Centers This paper explains how to quantify the electricity savings and provides examples of methods that can greatly reduce electrical power consumption.
- Hunter Fan Prepares for Business Growth with Vblock™ Hunter Fan turned to Vblock™ Systems, which enabled them to improve performance of BI applications by 40%, increase storage capacity from 10TB to...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Sustainable IT White Papers | Webcasts