Lenovo unveils K900 smartphone on Atom chip
Lightweight and stylish, it will sell in China in April, elsewhere later
Computerworld - Lenovo's new IdeaPhone K900 smartphone, shown to reporters at International CES, is a big phone with a 5.5-in. display that's also very lightweight at 5.7 ounces.
The device drew attention as an Intel Atom-based phone, although Intel had at least eight other models that use its chips on display at its booth.
Markets for Atom-based phones seem to be largely outside the U.S. so far,; the K900 will first be sold in April in China, where Lenovo has a strong smartphone following. Pricing has not been set.
The K900's 13-megapixel camera will rival the LG Optimus G's camera, and the display is rated at 1080p for full high-definition resolution.
Lenovo called the phone "sleek" in its marketing materials, and based on a quick hands-on evaluation, it is. The length might be too much for some users, however, and the K900 has sharp corners and edges.
It will run Android 4.2 and use a 2GHz Intel Atom Clover Trail dual-core processor.
Intel's booth at CES included Atom single-core chip (1.6 GHz and above) phones being sold in China and Europe, including one, called San Diego, that Intel made for the carrier Orange. Intel also showed two Asus smartphones, an Acer Iconia and two Motorola devices running on Atom.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts