Lenovo unveils K900 smartphone on Atom chip
Lightweight and stylish, it will sell in China in April, elsewhere later
Computerworld - Lenovo's new IdeaPhone K900 smartphone, shown to reporters at International CES, is a big phone with a 5.5-in. display that's also very lightweight at 5.7 ounces.
The device drew attention as an Intel Atom-based phone, although Intel had at least eight other models that use its chips on display at its booth.
Markets for Atom-based phones seem to be largely outside the U.S. so far,; the K900 will first be sold in April in China, where Lenovo has a strong smartphone following. Pricing has not been set.
The K900's 13-megapixel camera will rival the LG Optimus G's camera, and the display is rated at 1080p for full high-definition resolution.
Lenovo called the phone "sleek" in its marketing materials, and based on a quick hands-on evaluation, it is. The length might be too much for some users, however, and the K900 has sharp corners and edges.
It will run Android 4.2 and use a 2GHz Intel Atom Clover Trail dual-core processor.
Intel's booth at CES included Atom single-core chip (1.6 GHz and above) phones being sold in China and Europe, including one, called San Diego, that Intel made for the carrier Orange. Intel also showed two Asus smartphones, an Acer Iconia and two Motorola devices running on Atom.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!