Lenovo unveils K900 smartphone on Atom chip
Lightweight and stylish, it will sell in China in April, elsewhere later
Computerworld - Lenovo's new IdeaPhone K900 smartphone, shown to reporters at International CES, is a big phone with a 5.5-in. display that's also very lightweight at 5.7 ounces.
The device drew attention as an Intel Atom-based phone, although Intel had at least eight other models that use its chips on display at its booth.
Markets for Atom-based phones seem to be largely outside the U.S. so far,; the K900 will first be sold in April in China, where Lenovo has a strong smartphone following. Pricing has not been set.
The K900's 13-megapixel camera will rival the LG Optimus G's camera, and the display is rated at 1080p for full high-definition resolution.
Lenovo called the phone "sleek" in its marketing materials, and based on a quick hands-on evaluation, it is. The length might be too much for some users, however, and the K900 has sharp corners and edges.
It will run Android 4.2 and use a 2GHz Intel Atom Clover Trail dual-core processor.
Intel's booth at CES included Atom single-core chip (1.6 GHz and above) phones being sold in China and Europe, including one, called San Diego, that Intel made for the carrier Orange. Intel also showed two Asus smartphones, an Acer Iconia and two Motorola devices running on Atom.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts