Lenovo unveils K900 smartphone on Atom chip
Lightweight and stylish, it will sell in China in April, elsewhere later
Computerworld - Lenovo's new IdeaPhone K900 smartphone, shown to reporters at International CES, is a big phone with a 5.5-in. display that's also very lightweight at 5.7 ounces.
The device drew attention as an Intel Atom-based phone, although Intel had at least eight other models that use its chips on display at its booth.
Markets for Atom-based phones seem to be largely outside the U.S. so far,; the K900 will first be sold in April in China, where Lenovo has a strong smartphone following. Pricing has not been set.
The K900's 13-megapixel camera will rival the LG Optimus G's camera, and the display is rated at 1080p for full high-definition resolution.
Lenovo called the phone "sleek" in its marketing materials, and based on a quick hands-on evaluation, it is. The length might be too much for some users, however, and the K900 has sharp corners and edges.
It will run Android 4.2 and use a 2GHz Intel Atom Clover Trail dual-core processor.
Intel's booth at CES included Atom single-core chip (1.6 GHz and above) phones being sold in China and Europe, including one, called San Diego, that Intel made for the carrier Orange. Intel also showed two Asus smartphones, an Acer Iconia and two Motorola devices running on Atom.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts