Dropbox to be included on all Samsung flagship phones and camera
Users get 50GB of cloud capacity for two years for free
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- Dropbox on Wednesday announced tighter integration of its cloud storage and file-sharing service with Samsung products, from smartphones to televisions.
Dropbox said the deeper integration includes several new Samsung devices, such as the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Grand smartphone and smart cameras. Samsung cameras will automatically push the photos to Dropbox's cloud storage service.
Dropbox is available natively on the Samsung Galaxy III, Samsung Galaxy Note II, and Samsung Galaxy Camera. Users configuring the devices will be offered free 50GB of capacity when they activate Dropbox, according to Lars Fjeldsoe-Nielsen, head of mobile business development.
Dropbox's new file-sharing capabilities leave a thumbnail of the original photo or video content on secondary device that are also Dropbox enabled. The actual content will not download until a user clicks on the thumbnail.
"That way we don't eat everyone's data plan," Nielsen said. "It gives you the same access to everything, whether it's on your smartphone, laptop or in the cloud."
Additionally, Dropbox file sharing will be available on Samsung's new smart televisions via its AllShare Play application.
With AllShare play, users can bring up photos or video from Dropbox and view them on their Samsung Smart TV.
Nielsen also said Verizon has become a partner of Dropbox, meaning Verizon devices can use Dropbox's file-sharing service.
"Verizon and AT&T had blocked a partnership," he said. "So now AT&T is the only [provider] not using us."
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts