ZTE unveils big-screen smartphone, could be coming to US and Europe
The company is in talks with carriers to bring the phone to the US and Europe
IDG News Service - Jumping on the big-screen smartphone bandwagon at CES, China's ZTE on Tuesday unveiled a flagship Android phone with a 5-inch full HD display.
The ZTE Grand S is due to launch in China sometime within the next three months, but ZTE said it's in talks with two carriers about selling the phone in the U.S. It's also talking to European carriers, executives said during a CES news conference.
The phone is based on the Jelly Bean version of Google's Android operating system and a quad-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor. There's a 13-megapixel camera on the back and a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
But technical specs only tell half the story of the phone. What ZTE was proud of was its physical size. At 6.9 millimeters thick, the phone is one of the thinnest smartphones on the market, and by comparison, the iPhone 5 is 7.6 millimeters. ZTE's device measures 142 millimeters tall by 69 millimeters wide.
ZTE said it plans to introduce additional high-end smartphones during 2013. Prices for the phone, which will come in several colors and storage capacity versions, were not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!