ZTE unveils big-screen smartphone, could be coming to US and Europe
The company is in talks with carriers to bring the phone to the US and Europe
IDG News Service - Jumping on the big-screen smartphone bandwagon at CES, China's ZTE on Tuesday unveiled a flagship Android phone with a 5-inch full HD display.
The ZTE Grand S is due to launch in China sometime within the next three months, but ZTE said it's in talks with two carriers about selling the phone in the U.S. It's also talking to European carriers, executives said during a CES news conference.
The phone is based on the Jelly Bean version of Google's Android operating system and a quad-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor. There's a 13-megapixel camera on the back and a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
But technical specs only tell half the story of the phone. What ZTE was proud of was its physical size. At 6.9 millimeters thick, the phone is one of the thinnest smartphones on the market, and by comparison, the iPhone 5 is 7.6 millimeters. ZTE's device measures 142 millimeters tall by 69 millimeters wide.
ZTE said it plans to introduce additional high-end smartphones during 2013. Prices for the phone, which will come in several colors and storage capacity versions, were not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts