ZTE unveils big-screen smartphone, could be coming to US and Europe
The company is in talks with carriers to bring the phone to the US and Europe
IDG News Service - Jumping on the big-screen smartphone bandwagon at CES, China's ZTE on Tuesday unveiled a flagship Android phone with a 5-inch full HD display.
The ZTE Grand S is due to launch in China sometime within the next three months, but ZTE said it's in talks with two carriers about selling the phone in the U.S. It's also talking to European carriers, executives said during a CES news conference.
The phone is based on the Jelly Bean version of Google's Android operating system and a quad-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor. There's a 13-megapixel camera on the back and a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
But technical specs only tell half the story of the phone. What ZTE was proud of was its physical size. At 6.9 millimeters thick, the phone is one of the thinnest smartphones on the market, and by comparison, the iPhone 5 is 7.6 millimeters. ZTE's device measures 142 millimeters tall by 69 millimeters wide.
ZTE said it plans to introduce additional high-end smartphones during 2013. Prices for the phone, which will come in several colors and storage capacity versions, were not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!