ZTE unveils big-screen smartphone, could be coming to US and Europe
The company is in talks with carriers to bring the phone to the US and Europe
IDG News Service - Jumping on the big-screen smartphone bandwagon at CES, China's ZTE on Tuesday unveiled a flagship Android phone with a 5-inch full HD display.
The ZTE Grand S is due to launch in China sometime within the next three months, but ZTE said it's in talks with two carriers about selling the phone in the U.S. It's also talking to European carriers, executives said during a CES news conference.
The phone is based on the Jelly Bean version of Google's Android operating system and a quad-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor. There's a 13-megapixel camera on the back and a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
But technical specs only tell half the story of the phone. What ZTE was proud of was its physical size. At 6.9 millimeters thick, the phone is one of the thinnest smartphones on the market, and by comparison, the iPhone 5 is 7.6 millimeters. ZTE's device measures 142 millimeters tall by 69 millimeters wide.
ZTE said it plans to introduce additional high-end smartphones during 2013. Prices for the phone, which will come in several colors and storage capacity versions, were not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts