Panasonic shows off 20-inch tablet with 4K screen
Availability and pricing information were not provided
IDG News Service - Panasonic on Tuesday showed off a 20-inch tablet with a 4K screen that can display images at a resolution of 3840-by-2160 pixels and is designed to improve multimedia tasks such as photo editing.
The tablet was unveiled during a keynote speech by Kazuhiro Tsuga, president and CEO of Panasonic, at the International CES show in Las Vegas. To highlight the benefit of the 4K screen, Panasonic showed how a photographer could use the tablet to edit photos on location and send images directly to the cloud.
Tablet display resolutions are continuously improving. Google's Nexus 10 tablet, which has a 10-inch screen and is made by Samsung, can display images at a 2560-by-1600 pixel resolution, while Apple's latest iPad has a 9.7-inch screen and a resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels.
Panasonic did not share information about the availability and price of the 20-inch device. The 4K tablet is being shown at Panasonic's booth at CES. The company also showed off a 4K OLED TV during the keynote.
A lot of the focus on 4K displays has been TVs, with Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and LG announcing new 4K TV sets. Sharp also announced 32-inch 4K monitors at CES. The 4K displays show images at four times the overall resolution of 1920-by-1080 pixel resolution displays.
Tsuga said that the tablet represented progress being made by Panasonic to develop new technologies in the laptop and tablet market. But with a 20-inch screen, the "tablet" could be cumbersome to carry. The tablet would perhaps be more appropriate as an all-in-one computer for desktops.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!