Panasonic shows off 20-inch tablet with 4K screen
Availability and pricing information were not provided
IDG News Service - Panasonic on Tuesday showed off a 20-inch tablet with a 4K screen that can display images at a resolution of 3840-by-2160 pixels and is designed to improve multimedia tasks such as photo editing.
The tablet was unveiled during a keynote speech by Kazuhiro Tsuga, president and CEO of Panasonic, at the International CES show in Las Vegas. To highlight the benefit of the 4K screen, Panasonic showed how a photographer could use the tablet to edit photos on location and send images directly to the cloud.
Tablet display resolutions are continuously improving. Google's Nexus 10 tablet, which has a 10-inch screen and is made by Samsung, can display images at a 2560-by-1600 pixel resolution, while Apple's latest iPad has a 9.7-inch screen and a resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels.
Panasonic did not share information about the availability and price of the 20-inch device. The 4K tablet is being shown at Panasonic's booth at CES. The company also showed off a 4K OLED TV during the keynote.
A lot of the focus on 4K displays has been TVs, with Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and LG announcing new 4K TV sets. Sharp also announced 32-inch 4K monitors at CES. The 4K displays show images at four times the overall resolution of 1920-by-1080 pixel resolution displays.
Tsuga said that the tablet represented progress being made by Panasonic to develop new technologies in the laptop and tablet market. But with a 20-inch screen, the "tablet" could be cumbersome to carry. The tablet would perhaps be more appropriate as an all-in-one computer for desktops.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- Managing Social Content to Maximize Value and Minimize Risk In this AIIM white paper, you will learn about the roles of content publishing systems and content management systems in social business strategies...
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts