Panasonic shows off 20-inch tablet with 4K screen
Availability and pricing information were not provided
IDG News Service - Panasonic on Tuesday showed off a 20-inch tablet with a 4K screen that can display images at a resolution of 3840-by-2160 pixels and is designed to improve multimedia tasks such as photo editing.
The tablet was unveiled during a keynote speech by Kazuhiro Tsuga, president and CEO of Panasonic, at the International CES show in Las Vegas. To highlight the benefit of the 4K screen, Panasonic showed how a photographer could use the tablet to edit photos on location and send images directly to the cloud.
Tablet display resolutions are continuously improving. Google's Nexus 10 tablet, which has a 10-inch screen and is made by Samsung, can display images at a 2560-by-1600 pixel resolution, while Apple's latest iPad has a 9.7-inch screen and a resolution of 2048-by-1536 pixels.
Panasonic did not share information about the availability and price of the 20-inch device. The 4K tablet is being shown at Panasonic's booth at CES. The company also showed off a 4K OLED TV during the keynote.
A lot of the focus on 4K displays has been TVs, with Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and LG announcing new 4K TV sets. Sharp also announced 32-inch 4K monitors at CES. The 4K displays show images at four times the overall resolution of 1920-by-1080 pixel resolution displays.
Tsuga said that the tablet represented progress being made by Panasonic to develop new technologies in the laptop and tablet market. But with a 20-inch screen, the "tablet" could be cumbersome to carry. The tablet would perhaps be more appropriate as an all-in-one computer for desktops.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Top 10 Endpoint Backup Mistakes When considering endpoint backup options, be sure you're making the right decisions. Protecting data on endpoints has become more challenging because of recent...
- Transforming Security: Designing a State-of-the-Art Extended Team The information security mission is no longer about implementing and operating controls.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts