Apple CEO Tim Cook visits China, meets with official
The visit appears to be Cook's second time in China as Apple's CEO
IDG News Service - Apple CEO Tim Cook is visiting China and met with a government official on Tuesday, about 10 months after his last visit to the country.
Cook met with Miao Wei, the head of China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology. The two discussed the global smartphone industry, new trends in innovation and Apple's developing business in China, according to a brief posting on the ministry's website.
Cook has been to China before, coming to the country in 2010 as Apple's chief operating officer to investigate worker suicides at iPhone manufacturer Foxconn. He came again last March for the first time as Apple's CEO, visiting with Chinese officials and touring a Foxconn factory.
An Apple spokeswoman could not be reached immediately for more information about Cook's current visit.
China has become a vital player in Apple's business, both as a market and as the site for producing iPhones and iPads through suppliers such as Foxconn, which employs more than 1.2 million workers. Over the years, Apple has faced increasing scrutiny due to Foxconn's working conditions, which labor groups allege have caused worker suicides and led to theriot of thousands of employees at one factory in China back in September.
On Tuesday, Cook also met with the U.S. ambassador to China, Gary Locke, according to a Twitter message from Jim Sciutto, chief of staff for the U.S. Embassy in Beijing. During the visit, Cook said Apple's stores in China are the company's busiest in the world.
Last month, Apple launched its new iPads and the iPhone 5 in China. The company later said it sold more than two million iPhone 5s in China during the product's first weekend launch.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
- Armed and Dangerous: Help your IT Organization Embrace Enterprise Mobility
- Becoming a mobile enterprise means new opportunities for your organization yet letting employees choose their own devices and then access corporate resources, apps,... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager: Online Product Demo Intelligent Investigation Manager optimizes fraud investigation and analysis and it dynamically coordinates and reports on cases, provides analysis and visualization, and enables more...
- Webinar: IBM IIM for Fraud, Abuse and Waste in Government View this IBM webinar to learn about the challenges and opportunities in fraud reduction, waste, and abuse in government programs and agencies. You...
- Pre-Engineered solutions from VCE Simplify Core Infrastructure Implementation In this video, the CTO of Purdue Pharma, a privately held pharmaceutical company explains how Purdue transformed their data center infrastructure with VCE.
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 12, 2013.