Network World - A poor hiring decision in IT can jeopardize budgets, the morale of other workers and the future of a company. From writing dated, irrelevant job descriptions to accepting a less-than-ideal candidate because the work is piling up, classic hiring mistakes are just waiting to trip up managers.
"I hated doing job descriptions and usually only made minimum effort to get them right," says Jim Smith, CEO of IT project consultancy Enterprise Management Group in Seattle. "Also, as I look back at my failings coming up the ranks, I made the mistake of promoting based on 'he's a good guy and I think he can do it.'"
IT JOB SPOTTING: Top 20 metro areas for tech jobs
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts