Network World - A poor hiring decision in IT can jeopardize budgets, the morale of other workers and the future of a company. From writing dated, irrelevant job descriptions to accepting a less-than-ideal candidate because the work is piling up, classic hiring mistakes are just waiting to trip up managers.
"I hated doing job descriptions and usually only made minimum effort to get them right," says Jim Smith, CEO of IT project consultancy Enterprise Management Group in Seattle. "Also, as I look back at my failings coming up the ranks, I made the mistake of promoting based on 'he's a good guy and I think he can do it.'"
IT JOB SPOTTING: Top 20 metro areas for tech jobs
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IBM CHRO Study: Working Beyond Borders Based on the key capability gaps revealed in this study, we believe organizations should focus on three critical workforce imperatives: cultivating creative leaders,...
- Onboarding 2013 - A New Look at New Hires This study of 230 organizations, conducted in January and February 2013, will explore the best practices organizations use to leverage world-class technology to...
- Building a Smarter Workforce in Today's Global Economy In this report, we discuss how new approaches and a new science of human resources have emerged to develop a "smarter workforce," resetting...
- Recruit, Hire and Onboard the Right Talent In this report, we discuss strategies for how organizations can perform optimally and compete successfully by hiring and onboarding the best talent the...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts