And an interesting new feature is the ability to tap the phone on the remote control of one of several new televisions that Sony is also announcing at CES. Once the phone and remote control meet, video can be sent from the phone through NFC to the remote and then over WiFi to the television for viewing on a big screen.
"We believe the viewing experience on this phone is as good as a TV," Molyneux said.
Or, you could just watch movies in the shower. The phone is dust and water resistance to the IP55 and IP57 ratings and can be submerged in up to a meter or water for 30 minutes. A demonstration phone was briefly dunked in a jar of water to prove that everything keeps running even if it gets wet.
The phone is based on Android 4.1, also known as "Jelly Bean," and will be available in the first quarter of this year in three colors: black, purple and white. Sony said an upgrade to Android version 4.2 will be offered shortly after launch.
Pricing was not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts