First 1TB USB flash drive coming soon
Kingston said its new DataTraveler USB drives will support transfer read speeds of up to 240MBps
IDG News Service - Kingston Technology will soon launch the world's first 1TB flash drive, a USB 3.0 device that is likely to cost more than most computers do.
The company said its "DataTraveler HyperX Predator" will go on sale this quarter, and it is for "users who work with large video or graphics files, or gamers who like to travel with their entire library."
Kingston has already launched a 512GB version, which is currently available on its website for $1,337.
The flash drives feature a metallic casing made from a zinc alloy, and are 72mm long and 27mm across.
Both drives support the current USB 3.0 standard, with read speeds of up to 240MBps and write speeds up to 160MBps. They can also revert to the USB 2.0 standard.
Transfer speeds are quickly becoming a bottleneck as graphics processors and standards allow for larger file sizes. High definition video files typically require hundreds of megabytes per minute, while new top-end digital cameras have sensors of over 20 megapixels.
Kingston said the pricey peripherals are backed by a five-year warranty.
An enhanced version of USB 3.0 that will enable data transfers at up to 10Gbps, twice the current standard, was announced earlier this week by the USB 3.0 Promoter Group. A conference to discuss the specification will be organized by Intel next month, with a final version to be prepared by the middle of the year.
The current USB 3.0 standard allows for transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts