First 1TB USB flash drive coming soon
Kingston said its new DataTraveler USB drives will support transfer read speeds of up to 240MBps
IDG News Service - Kingston Technology will soon launch the world's first 1TB flash drive, a USB 3.0 device that is likely to cost more than most computers do.
The company said its "DataTraveler HyperX Predator" will go on sale this quarter, and it is for "users who work with large video or graphics files, or gamers who like to travel with their entire library."
Kingston has already launched a 512GB version, which is currently available on its website for $1,337.
The flash drives feature a metallic casing made from a zinc alloy, and are 72mm long and 27mm across.
Both drives support the current USB 3.0 standard, with read speeds of up to 240MBps and write speeds up to 160MBps. They can also revert to the USB 2.0 standard.
Transfer speeds are quickly becoming a bottleneck as graphics processors and standards allow for larger file sizes. High definition video files typically require hundreds of megabytes per minute, while new top-end digital cameras have sensors of over 20 megapixels.
Kingston said the pricey peripherals are backed by a five-year warranty.
An enhanced version of USB 3.0 that will enable data transfers at up to 10Gbps, twice the current standard, was announced earlier this week by the USB 3.0 Promoter Group. A conference to discuss the specification will be organized by Intel next month, with a final version to be prepared by the middle of the year.
The current USB 3.0 standard allows for transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Transform IT: Transform the Enterprise This paper provides IT leaders with insight into three IT imperatives that 24 CIOs and senior IT executives used to reposition IT and...
- Case Study Adopting ITSM Tech to Support ITIL Initiatives CIO Bart Murphy Improves Service Delivery while Lowering Costs by consolidating services across 6 business units.
- Upstream Print Solutions improve customer service Fuji Xerox Australia subsidiary Upstream Print Solutions is rolling out SaaS service delivery to facilities, field engineering, health and safety, client service and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Computer Peripherals White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!