LaCie releases 20TB Thunderbolt RAID array
The 5big, unveiled at CES, sports I/O speeds of up to 785MB/s (see picture below)
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- LaCie today announced at CES the 5big storage box, a RAID array with Thunderbolt that comes in 10TB and 20TB capacities.
The LaCie 5big array comes with dual-core 2.13GHz Intel processors. The dual Thunderbolt ports, enabling users to daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt peripherals together.
Thunderbolt, announced by Intel last year, offers twice the performance of the latest SuperSpeed USB (3.0) interconnect. So there is reason to believe it could someday overtake USB, the most ubiquitous external I/O technology ever created.
LaCie, which was acquired by Seagate earlier this year, said the new RAID array features speeds of up to 785MB/sec through the use of five 7200rpm hard disks that have 64MB of cache each.
Three of the 5big Thunderbolt's drives are configured in RAID 0, which writes data to two or more disks in order to increase performance and not resiliency. The remaining two drives are configured in RAID 1, or single redundancy for data resilience. The array can also be set up as JBOD.
Disk drives are also hot-swappable, so the user can simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device. The array comes with dual cooling fans.
The box, which comes preconfigured in RAID 0, is being aimed at small businesses and video professionals working in need post-production settings because the array offers them the ability to edit multiple 2K uncompressed 10-bit streams.
LaCie said its 5big array allows video professionals to move from a heavy desktop workstation to more mobile and versatile laptop setup with faster and higher-capacity storage. "Their desktop setup stays in the office while the laptop goes on business trips," LaCie stated.
Configured as JBOD, LaCie's 5big can also be used for daily backup, which one disk assigned for each day of the week, the company said.
"It is an ideal backup companion to a Mac Mini Server for businesses that need a professional IT setup," LaCie stated in a news release.
Pricing for the LaCie 5big, which comes with a three-year warranty, starts at $1,199.00 for the 10TB version. A 20TB model retails for $2,199. The Thunderbolt cable included.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts