LaCie releases 20TB Thunderbolt RAID array
The 5big, unveiled at CES, sports I/O speeds of up to 785MB/s (see picture below)
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- LaCie today announced at CES the 5big storage box, a RAID array with Thunderbolt that comes in 10TB and 20TB capacities.
The LaCie 5big array comes with dual-core 2.13GHz Intel processors. The dual Thunderbolt ports, enabling users to daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt peripherals together.
Thunderbolt, announced by Intel last year, offers twice the performance of the latest SuperSpeed USB (3.0) interconnect. So there is reason to believe it could someday overtake USB, the most ubiquitous external I/O technology ever created.
LaCie, which was acquired by Seagate earlier this year, said the new RAID array features speeds of up to 785MB/sec through the use of five 7200rpm hard disks that have 64MB of cache each.
Three of the 5big Thunderbolt's drives are configured in RAID 0, which writes data to two or more disks in order to increase performance and not resiliency. The remaining two drives are configured in RAID 1, or single redundancy for data resilience. The array can also be set up as JBOD.
Disk drives are also hot-swappable, so the user can simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device. The array comes with dual cooling fans.
The box, which comes preconfigured in RAID 0, is being aimed at small businesses and video professionals working in need post-production settings because the array offers them the ability to edit multiple 2K uncompressed 10-bit streams.
LaCie said its 5big array allows video professionals to move from a heavy desktop workstation to more mobile and versatile laptop setup with faster and higher-capacity storage. "Their desktop setup stays in the office while the laptop goes on business trips," LaCie stated.
Configured as JBOD, LaCie's 5big can also be used for daily backup, which one disk assigned for each day of the week, the company said.
"It is an ideal backup companion to a Mac Mini Server for businesses that need a professional IT setup," LaCie stated in a news release.
Pricing for the LaCie 5big, which comes with a three-year warranty, starts at $1,199.00 for the 10TB version. A 20TB model retails for $2,199. The Thunderbolt cable included.
Want more on CES? See our Complete coverage of CES 2013 .
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts