Huawei shows off smartphone with monster 6.1-in. screen
The Ascend Mate will go on sale in China in February
IDG News Service - It might not be a household name in the U.S., but China's Huawei sought to make a statement at CES in Las Vegas on Monday.
The company, which is one of the world's biggest vendors of cellular network equipment and one of China's top cellphone makers, unveiled two new handsets: the Ascend Mate, which claims the world's largest display, and the Ascend D2, which Huawei claims is the world's most powerful smartphone.
The Ascend Mate has a 6.1-in. screen, pushing the boundary between phone and tablet. But make no mistake, the screen, while huge for a phone, is still a little cramped when compared to a tablet.
Running Android 4.1 with a custom Huawei user interface, the phone is dust- and water-resistant, as was demonstrated on stage when Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei's consumer business group, poured water over the phone's screen with no apparent problem. He also dropped it on stage, on purpose, to demonstrate toughness.
The Ascend Mate features an impressive 4,050mAh battery. The figure represents the amount of energy the battery can hold, and it's significantly higher than competing phones. That should translate into longer usage time between recharges, but could just be an indication of all the power needed to run its systems. Huawei didn't provide any additional details.
It has an 8-megapixel camera and, among its tricks, it can be used with a gloved hand.
The second phone, the Ascend D2, is the company's flagship model and combines a 5-in. screen with a 13-megapixel camera.
The Ascend Mate will be available in China from February with other markets to follow at an unspecified time. The D2 will go on sale in China this month and will reach Japan soon after. The launch schedule for other markets isn't fixed.
Pricing for both phones was not announced.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts