Asus unveils Qube streaming box with Google TV
Asus makes a move to go after the growing TV market
IDG News Service - Asustek is aiming for the TV market with the introduction of an Internet streaming box called Qube, which will run on Google TV software.
The box will enable streaming of movies and TV shows from Google Play, Netflix, Amazon and HBO, Asus said on Monday. The Qube box was announced on Monday at the International CES show being held in Las Vegas this week.
Google TV is software available in set-top boxes and TVs and tries to solve the challenge of bringing classic TV and Internet functionality closer. A number of Google TV products from Hisense, TCL and other companies are expected to shown off at CES this week.
LG, Vizio and Sony are among companies already offering based on the second-generation of Google TV software. The software provides access to 100,000 movies and TV shows via the Google Play store and other sites.
Google TV also provides additional functionality that makes browsing TV content easier. For example, Google TV can show listings of programs from broadcast, DVR and the Internet after a search. A TV set can also be used to surf the Internet, run Android applications, or to play games.
Asus' Qube box adds voice search capabilities, which brings a new dimension to finding multimedia content on multiple sources. The Qube will compete with other streaming products like the popular Roku, Apple's Apple TV and Western Digital's WD TV Live, which has the additional capability to stream video from home media servers over a wireless network. None of those boxes have voice search capabilities.
Asus has developed the Qube interface, and a remote control has motion sensing capabilities for gaming. Asus will offer 50GB of web storage with the Qube.
The Qube will be available in the U.S. later in first quarter, Asus said. Pricing information was not immediately available, but streaming boxes are generally priced between $80 and $150.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts