Asus unveils Qube streaming box with Google TV
Asus makes a move to go after the growing TV market
IDG News Service - Asustek is aiming for the TV market with the introduction of an Internet streaming box called Qube, which will run on Google TV software.
The box will enable streaming of movies and TV shows from Google Play, Netflix, Amazon and HBO, Asus said on Monday. The Qube box was announced on Monday at the International CES show being held in Las Vegas this week.
Google TV is software available in set-top boxes and TVs and tries to solve the challenge of bringing classic TV and Internet functionality closer. A number of Google TV products from Hisense, TCL and other companies are expected to shown off at CES this week.
LG, Vizio and Sony are among companies already offering based on the second-generation of Google TV software. The software provides access to 100,000 movies and TV shows via the Google Play store and other sites.
Google TV also provides additional functionality that makes browsing TV content easier. For example, Google TV can show listings of programs from broadcast, DVR and the Internet after a search. A TV set can also be used to surf the Internet, run Android applications, or to play games.
Asus' Qube box adds voice search capabilities, which brings a new dimension to finding multimedia content on multiple sources. The Qube will compete with other streaming products like the popular Roku, Apple's Apple TV and Western Digital's WD TV Live, which has the additional capability to stream video from home media servers over a wireless network. None of those boxes have voice search capabilities.
Asus has developed the Qube interface, and a remote control has motion sensing capabilities for gaming. Asus will offer 50GB of web storage with the Qube.
The Qube will be available in the U.S. later in first quarter, Asus said. Pricing information was not immediately available, but streaming boxes are generally priced between $80 and $150.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!