Asus unveils Qube streaming box with Google TV
Asus makes a move to go after the growing TV market
IDG News Service - Asustek is aiming for the TV market with the introduction of an Internet streaming box called Qube, which will run on Google TV software.
The box will enable streaming of movies and TV shows from Google Play, Netflix, Amazon and HBO, Asus said on Monday. The Qube box was announced on Monday at the International CES show being held in Las Vegas this week.
Google TV is software available in set-top boxes and TVs and tries to solve the challenge of bringing classic TV and Internet functionality closer. A number of Google TV products from Hisense, TCL and other companies are expected to shown off at CES this week.
LG, Vizio and Sony are among companies already offering based on the second-generation of Google TV software. The software provides access to 100,000 movies and TV shows via the Google Play store and other sites.
Google TV also provides additional functionality that makes browsing TV content easier. For example, Google TV can show listings of programs from broadcast, DVR and the Internet after a search. A TV set can also be used to surf the Internet, run Android applications, or to play games.
Asus' Qube box adds voice search capabilities, which brings a new dimension to finding multimedia content on multiple sources. The Qube will compete with other streaming products like the popular Roku, Apple's Apple TV and Western Digital's WD TV Live, which has the additional capability to stream video from home media servers over a wireless network. None of those boxes have voice search capabilities.
Asus has developed the Qube interface, and a remote control has motion sensing capabilities for gaming. Asus will offer 50GB of web storage with the Qube.
The Qube will be available in the U.S. later in first quarter, Asus said. Pricing information was not immediately available, but streaming boxes are generally priced between $80 and $150.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more