USB 3.0 standard will soon allow up to 10Gbps
The underlying specification will be ready by the middle of the year
IDG News Service - An enhanced version of USB 3.0 will deliver up to 10Gbps, twice the data speed of current connections.
The 10G bps SuperSpeed USB supplement to the existing USB 3.0 specification is expected to be completed by the middle of the year, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group said Sunday at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
However, it didn't elaborate on when the first compatible products will arrive.
The new version will have improved data encoding for more efficient transfers, but will, despite the boost in capacity, be compatible with existing cables and connectors, according to the Promoter Group.
The faster transfer speed should be a boon for users that handle large files, including videos shot in full-HD and 3D, as well as photographs taken by cameras such as the new Nikon D600, which has a 24.3 megapixel sensor.
A conference discussing the 10G bps specification will be organized by Intel in the beginning of February.
The USB 3.0 Promoter Group is comprised of Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Renesas Electronics, ST-Ericsson and Texas Instruments. The group released its original version of the USB 3.0 specification in November 2008.
The Promoter Group has also developed the USB Power Delivery specification, which enables increased power delivery via USB cables and connectors.
Products compatible with the specification are currently being developed, according to the USB Implementers Forum.
On Sunday, the USB Implementers Forum also looked back at a successful 2012, during which the number of certified USB 3.0 products doubled compared to the previous year.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- WAN Sizzle With a shift in traffic patterns from recent trends like virtualization, mobility and cloud - IT organizations need to get more effective usage...
- Optimizing the Network The network has become a utility that users can't do without. Mobility and bandwidth-hungry apps demand faster and more efficient networks.
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless...
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!