Lenovo comes out swinging with table PC, hybrid ultrabooks
PC maker also unveils a mini-ultrabook
Computerworld - With Lenovo moving up the ranks of the global PC market, the company is looking to solidify its momentum at the International CES trade show this week.
Lenovo, which is vying with Hewlett-Packard for the top spot in the PC market, is using CES in Las Vegas to present new products, including a hybrid laptop and tablet device, a mini-ultrabook and a table PC.
"Lenovo is very experimental," said Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research. "It tries new form factors, new types of devices. Some stick, some don't. But they all contribute to the accurate impression that Lenovo is a lively company."
On Sunday, the China-based PC maker unveiled the IdeaCentre Horizon Table PC, a multi-user, multi-touch, multi-mode consumer device. It uses Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system running on Intel's Core i7 processors and Nvidia's GeForce graphics.
Lenovo wants to make computing more social, said Jay Parker, a vice president with Lenovo. The table PC, which lies flat, is designed to enable users to make computing a shared experience.
"There's this cultural phenomenon where people are using their phones or tablets individually," Parker told Computerworld. "They're all sitting there at dinner using their phones individually. There's an opportunity to bring the family back together by sharing games. Extend that to the school environment where they've started to roll out tablets but they're using them individually."
Parker doesn't see the Horizon Table PC as a computer for the enterprise but said it could replace the desktop in home or school environments. The table PC is due to be released in early summer with a starting price of $1,699.
Industry analysts have been talking about a convergence in technology - a combination of smartphones, tablets, laptops and even traditional desktops. Expect to see a mashup of these devices at CES this week.
Is the table PC a morphing of the desktop?
"People have been saying for a decade or more that the desktop is going away," Parker said. "I don't think it's going away, but certainly these new technologies are adding to it ... This certainly could replace the desktop in some environments. It's a full functioning, all-in-one PC."
Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy, predicts that new versions of desktops will start to show up in more homes.
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts