Qualcomm promises improved WLAN performance with StreamBoost technology
Alienware and D-Link will demo compatible products at CES
IDG News Service - Qualcomm Atheros is rolling out StreamBoost, a technology that will be used in Wi-Fi routers and gateways to improve the performance of movies and games streamed over wireless home networks.
While the new 802.11ac standard was designed to address increasingly crowded wireless networks, StreamBoost combined with 802.11ac will improve performance further by managing and shaping traffic, Qualcomm said oFriday.
High-performance PC vendor Alienware and D-Link Systems will demonstrate routers based on 802.11ac and StreamBoost at next week's International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
To improve performance over time, StreamBoost-compatible products incorporate an opt-in, cloud-based service that allows new applications and devices to be identified and optimally managed as they are added to a network, according to Qualcomm.
StreamBoost-compatible products will also come with an interface that allows users to see all the devices connected to their home network, the applications they are using and the real-time bandwidth usage of each application and device.
This year's CES will be special for Qualcomm since CEO Paul Jacobs is the pre-show keynote speaker for the first time. On Thursday, the company posted a video sneak peek, and promised it will demonstrate a few firsts.
The keynote will take place Monday, and CES will officially open its doors Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- PC Refresh This survey was conducted in order to determine the typical PC refresh cycle, the barriers to PC refresh, and key benefits of PC...
- Winning the Paper Wars - capture the content and mobilize the process troops In this report, AIIM looks at the reasons for this poor progress, measure the adoption of digital mailrooms, chart the progress of mobile...
- Looking to the Horizon: SDN Software-defined networking is one of the hottest buzzwords of 2014, but saying exactly what SDN is can be a challenge. SDN has its...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!