Qualcomm promises improved WLAN performance with StreamBoost technology
Alienware and D-Link will demo compatible products at CES
IDG News Service - Qualcomm Atheros is rolling out StreamBoost, a technology that will be used in Wi-Fi routers and gateways to improve the performance of movies and games streamed over wireless home networks.
While the new 802.11ac standard was designed to address increasingly crowded wireless networks, StreamBoost combined with 802.11ac will improve performance further by managing and shaping traffic, Qualcomm said oFriday.
High-performance PC vendor Alienware and D-Link Systems will demonstrate routers based on 802.11ac and StreamBoost at next week's International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
To improve performance over time, StreamBoost-compatible products incorporate an opt-in, cloud-based service that allows new applications and devices to be identified and optimally managed as they are added to a network, according to Qualcomm.
StreamBoost-compatible products will also come with an interface that allows users to see all the devices connected to their home network, the applications they are using and the real-time bandwidth usage of each application and device.
This year's CES will be special for Qualcomm since CEO Paul Jacobs is the pre-show keynote speaker for the first time. On Thursday, the company posted a video sneak peek, and promised it will demonstrate a few firsts.
The keynote will take place Monday, and CES will officially open its doors Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Next Wave in Wireless Emerging 802.11ac standard promises a significant boost in performance to support ubiquitous mobility.
- Case Study: Murphy USA Gains Application Visibility Without Agents Murphy USA has more than 700 stores that share a 10Mbps VSAT link. So when something goes wrong with their applications, it's the...
- 25 Business Phone Service Features Your Business Can't Do Without How many features does your business really need in a phone system? Which are worth paying for, and which are over-hyped? Learn how...
- The Great Video Conferencing Debate: Cost Vs. Quality With new video conferencing solutions available for small and medium businesses, it is possible to have a higher standard of video conferencing without...
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts