Qualcomm promises improved WLAN performance with StreamBoost technology
Alienware and D-Link will demo compatible products at CES
IDG News Service - Qualcomm Atheros is rolling out StreamBoost, a technology that will be used in Wi-Fi routers and gateways to improve the performance of movies and games streamed over wireless home networks.
While the new 802.11ac standard was designed to address increasingly crowded wireless networks, StreamBoost combined with 802.11ac will improve performance further by managing and shaping traffic, Qualcomm said oFriday.
High-performance PC vendor Alienware and D-Link Systems will demonstrate routers based on 802.11ac and StreamBoost at next week's International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
To improve performance over time, StreamBoost-compatible products incorporate an opt-in, cloud-based service that allows new applications and devices to be identified and optimally managed as they are added to a network, according to Qualcomm.
StreamBoost-compatible products will also come with an interface that allows users to see all the devices connected to their home network, the applications they are using and the real-time bandwidth usage of each application and device.
This year's CES will be special for Qualcomm since CEO Paul Jacobs is the pre-show keynote speaker for the first time. On Thursday, the company posted a video sneak peek, and promised it will demonstrate a few firsts.
The keynote will take place Monday, and CES will officially open its doors Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- Modernizing Communications and IT Systems: 4 Considerations for Government Agencies Aging information and communications technologies may not seem like a catastrophic threat to a state, county or city, but they foster substantial financial,...
- Next Wave in Wireless Emerging 802.11ac standard promises a significant boost in performance to support ubiquitous mobility.
- Case Study: Murphy USA Gains Application Visibility Without Agents Murphy USA has more than 700 stores that share a 10Mbps VSAT link. So when something goes wrong with their applications, it's the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts