Qualcomm promises improved WLAN performance with StreamBoost technology
Alienware and D-Link will demo compatible products at CES
IDG News Service - Qualcomm Atheros is rolling out StreamBoost, a technology that will be used in Wi-Fi routers and gateways to improve the performance of movies and games streamed over wireless home networks.
While the new 802.11ac standard was designed to address increasingly crowded wireless networks, StreamBoost combined with 802.11ac will improve performance further by managing and shaping traffic, Qualcomm said oFriday.
High-performance PC vendor Alienware and D-Link Systems will demonstrate routers based on 802.11ac and StreamBoost at next week's International CES trade show in Las Vegas.
To improve performance over time, StreamBoost-compatible products incorporate an opt-in, cloud-based service that allows new applications and devices to be identified and optimally managed as they are added to a network, according to Qualcomm.
StreamBoost-compatible products will also come with an interface that allows users to see all the devices connected to their home network, the applications they are using and the real-time bandwidth usage of each application and device.
This year's CES will be special for Qualcomm since CEO Paul Jacobs is the pre-show keynote speaker for the first time. On Thursday, the company posted a video sneak peek, and promised it will demonstrate a few firsts.
The keynote will take place Monday, and CES will officially open its doors Tuesday.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 802.11ac Non-Disruptive Migration Strategies Emerging 802.11ac standard promises a significant boost in performance to support ubiquitous mobility.
- City Solved Network Mystery - Saves $30K The City of Jacksonville put their hunch to work and not only solved a mystery, but found a new and innovative use for...
- Making it work: Using Cisco and Microsoft Lync to Drive Collaboration Microsoft Lync is posting impressive adoption rates. As a Cisco Premier Partner and a company that has deployed Microsoft Lync to its own...
- Using Video to Gain a Competitive Advantage: A Business Strategy for Mid-Market Companies The insights provided in this white paper are based on industry analysts and 30+ years of experience from the Video Collaboration Group at...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Wireless Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!