Cisco and NXP invest in connected car technology company
The companies will work on applications to improve road safety
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems and NXP Semiconductors have both invested in connected car equipment vendor Cohda Wireless, as they look to make the Internet of things a reality and take a piece of a quickly growing market.
The size of the investments were not disclosed, but the products and technologies the three companies will work on include communication between cars and cars communicating with road-side infrastructure, according to a joint statement.
Together Cisco, Cohda and NXP will develop applications that warn of hazards such as the potential of a collision ahead, alerting if a nearby vehicle is losing control, or of upcoming traffic congestion, they said on Friday.
NXP and Cohda are far from new acquaintances; they have already developed a platform that combines radio technology from both companies for use in onboard car units.
Cohda Wireless was founded in 2004 by a group of research scientists working at the University of South Australia's Institute for Telecommunications Research. The company has developed a radio based on IEEE 802.11p, a wireless network standard tailored for use in cars and in road-side equipment.
That vendors like Cisco and NXP are showing a growing interest in machine-to-machine communications shouldn't come as a surprise. It is market that is expected to grow from US$21.52 billion in 2011 to $85.96 billion in 2017, according to data from Markets and Markets.
Automotive, health care and utilities are currently the stand-out areas in the M2M sector, and regulation, standardization and consolidation will help drive the popularity of machine connectivity and services going forward, according to Andrew Brown, director for enterprise research at Strategy Analytics.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google I/O 2013's Coolest Products and Services
- 10 Star Trek Technologies That are Almost Here
- 19 Generations of Computer Programmers
- 25 Must-Have Technologies for SMBs
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
Can the financial services industry prevent some of these disasters through better quality software? I believe the answer is yes!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Case Study: Hospital Turns to Email Archiving Solution to Ensure Regulatory Compliances
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email archiving solution enabled the hospital to meet government mandates and helps avoid thousands...
- Case Study: In-the-Cloud Email Service Replaces Three Point Products
- Read this case study for more information on a comprehensive in-the-cloud email service to help replace three point products.
- Case Study: Simplifying the Transition to Exchange 2010 with Email Management Solutions
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email management solution greatly simplified the company's transition to Exchange 2010.
- What does it take to deliver Security, Privacy and Trust at Mimecast?
- This whitepaper explains the process and controls that Mimecast put in place to deliver a secure, private and trusted SaaS platform for your...
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based... All Financial IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity.
- Content Analytics: Big Data Conquered, Customer Service Elevated
- For organizations looking to start a content analytics program or improve their existing capabilities, Aberdeen Group and IBM will lay out several recommendations... All Financial IT Webcasts