Lenovo, EMC add co-branded NAS devices to joint LenovoEMC Ltd. venture
Iomega-made storage systems target small, mid-size businesses
Computerworld - EMC and Lenovo Thursday extended a strategic partnership to include sales of co-branded network-attached storage (NAS) devices to small and mid-sized businesses and corporate branch offices.
The companies had created a joint venture called LenovoEMC Ltd. in August to build and sell servers storage systems, starting in China.
The two firms announced today that they will each sell co-branded NAS boxes built by EMC's Iomega division.
"Lenovo's record as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in the world and Iomega's heritage as a leader in network storage solutions enables the joint venture to pursue growth opportunities and drive innovation in the SMB NAS market," said Eric Arcese, general managers of LenovoEMC Ltd. in a statement.
Iomega has grown from a maker of consumer and small business storage systems to one that also makes rack-mounted systems with up to 12-drive bays supporting up to 48TB of data. The Iomega NAS storage devices run EMC's LifeLine operating system, which combines advanced notification and management support features.
For example, EMC LifeLine supports fault notification through e-mail and supports more advanced notification through SNMP (simple network management protocol) as well as disk drive spin-down features to save power when NAS devices are not in use.
Lenovo holds a majority interest in the jointly-owned LenovoEMC Ltd.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts