Lenovo, EMC add co-branded NAS devices to joint LenovoEMC Ltd. venture
Iomega-made storage systems target small, mid-size businesses
Computerworld - EMC and Lenovo Thursday extended a strategic partnership to include sales of co-branded network-attached storage (NAS) devices to small and mid-sized businesses and corporate branch offices.
The companies had created a joint venture called LenovoEMC Ltd. in August to build and sell servers storage systems, starting in China.
The two firms announced today that they will each sell co-branded NAS boxes built by EMC's Iomega division.
"Lenovo's record as one of the fastest-growing technology companies in the world and Iomega's heritage as a leader in network storage solutions enables the joint venture to pursue growth opportunities and drive innovation in the SMB NAS market," said Eric Arcese, general managers of LenovoEMC Ltd. in a statement.
Iomega has grown from a maker of consumer and small business storage systems to one that also makes rack-mounted systems with up to 12-drive bays supporting up to 48TB of data. The Iomega NAS storage devices run EMC's LifeLine operating system, which combines advanced notification and management support features.
For example, EMC LifeLine supports fault notification through e-mail and supports more advanced notification through SNMP (simple network management protocol) as well as disk drive spin-down features to save power when NAS devices are not in use.
Lenovo holds a majority interest in the jointly-owned LenovoEMC Ltd.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Report: Back Up Critical Cloud Data before It's Too Late Read the February 2014 Forrester Research Inc. Report, Back Up Your Critical Cloud Data Before It's Too Late: Cloud-To-Cloud Backup Emerges As A...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts