Post-holiday Android tablet Web traffic grows, iPad share shrinks
Chitika reports share bump for Apple iPad competitors Kindle Fire, Galaxy Nexus and Samsung Galaxy
Computerworld - Web traffic on Android tablets from various vendors grew substantially after the Christmas holiday, cutting the iPad's share by more than 7%.
Nonetheless, Web traffic on Apple's iPad continues to outdistance the competition overall, now accounting for nearly 79% of all Web page impressions, according to data compiled by Chitika Insights.
Chitika, which runs Web-based ad network., said its findings are based on hundreds of millions of ad impressions from Dec. 1 to Dec. 27.
Chitika found that the iPad's share of tablet Web traffic declined by 7.1 percentage points -- from 86% to 78.9% -- after Christmas Day, 2012.
Kindle Fire had the largest share of the Android tablets, at 7.51%, up 3 percentage points since Christmas. The Samsung Galaxy tablets (7-in. And 10-in.) hold a 4.3% share, up 1.38 percentage points since Christmas, while the share of Web traffic on Google Nexus (7-in. and 10-in.) devices has doubled to 2% since Dec. 25.
Meanwhile, Apple's iPhone 5 maintains the largest share of smartphone Web traffic -- 8.27%. The iPhone is followed by the Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone, which holds a 4.29% share of Web traffic.
Chitika said the tablet results mark "substantial change [which] underscores the inroads non-iPad tablets made this holiday season."
But Chitika also said that iPad's share of tablet traffic is likely to return to the 80% range as users return from vacation and browse less frequently on their new Android devices.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
- Should Sprint buy T-Mobile?
- iPhone, Samsung smartphone use by U.S. consumers jumps
- A mobile app reality check
- Verizon LTE getting AWS upgrades, even as execs admit to some performance 'hot spots'
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts