Ruby on Rails updates address SQL injection flaw
Developers moved quickly to fix serious SQL injection vulnerability in Ruby on Rails tool set
IDG News Service - The developers of Ruby on Rails, a popular open source Web application development framework for the Ruby programming language, released versions 3.2.10, 3.1.9, and 3.0.18 of the software on Wednesday in order to patch a serious SQL injection vulnerability.
"These releases contain an important security fix," the Rails development team said in a blog post. "It is recommended that all users upgrade immediately."
The vulnerability is located in the framework's Active Record database query interface and allows potential attackers to inject arbitrary SQL (Structured Query Language) statements.
SQL injection vulnerabilities are commonly exploited by attackers to extract information from databases.
The Rails developers apologized for releasing a security update so close to the holidays, but said that they were forced to rush out a patch because the vulnerability had been publicly disclosed.
In order to help users who can't immediately upgrade to the latest versions of the framework, the Rails development team published a workaround and released manual patches that can be easily applied to older versions, including two that are no longer supported.
That said, users of unsupported versions were urged to upgrade as soon as possible because the future availability of security fixes for those versions is not guaranteed. Only Rails 3.1.x and 3.2.x series are supported at the moment, the developers said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts