Ruby on Rails updates address SQL injection flaw
Developers moved quickly to fix serious SQL injection vulnerability in Ruby on Rails tool set
IDG News Service - The developers of Ruby on Rails, a popular open source Web application development framework for the Ruby programming language, released versions 3.2.10, 3.1.9, and 3.0.18 of the software on Wednesday in order to patch a serious SQL injection vulnerability.
"These releases contain an important security fix," the Rails development team said in a blog post. "It is recommended that all users upgrade immediately."
The vulnerability is located in the framework's Active Record database query interface and allows potential attackers to inject arbitrary SQL (Structured Query Language) statements.
SQL injection vulnerabilities are commonly exploited by attackers to extract information from databases.
The Rails developers apologized for releasing a security update so close to the holidays, but said that they were forced to rush out a patch because the vulnerability had been publicly disclosed.
In order to help users who can't immediately upgrade to the latest versions of the framework, the Rails development team published a workaround and released manual patches that can be easily applied to older versions, including two that are no longer supported.
That said, users of unsupported versions were urged to upgrade as soon as possible because the future availability of security fixes for those versions is not guaranteed. Only Rails 3.1.x and 3.2.x series are supported at the moment, the developers said.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!